Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Wonder Bread Bible.

Last night I went to my first bible study in awhile... -- years actually. It was your standard protocol. Women in one room, men in another. Beginning with a meet and greet; a few hugs are exchanged then we sit down. The leader ask for 'prayer request' and we all sympathise with the customary sigh of understanding. The leader then ask for 'praise reports' and the black cloud is lifted until one of the older ladies in the circle opens the Heavens and invites God to help and bless the names that are written on the little piece of paper she is straining to read off of.

The Heavens close with an 'Amen' and we are then handed out sheets of study notes. The leader gets the attention of the group with a question and we proceed with Scripture and there is discussion. By the end of this 45 minutes of discussing whatever the topic may be, the leader rattles off a handful of Scripture verses to study at our leisure. Again it is followed by a short prayer and our pat on the back for coming.

I came into this with an open mind. One of my 'life quotes' is, "Have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing." So I came, Bible in hand, fully open to everyone and everything around me.

"When I was growing up, I knew I was different. The other girls were blonde and delicate, and I was a swarthy six-year-old with sideburns. I so badly wanted to be like the popular girls all sitting together, talking, eating their Wonder Bread sandwiches..."

As the great philosopher Nia Vardalos or better known as Toula from My Big Fat Greek Wedding said, "... I so badly wanted to be like the popular girls sitting together, talking, eating their Wonder Bread sandwiches." I too wanted that badly. I sat there and listened and so badly wanted it to work out. I wanted to hear my spirit sing or at least feel a connection with someone in the room. But no, "... I knew I was different."

I've been a little scatter-minded with my own 'spiritual journey' you could say. I'm not going to get into much detail in this post, but in the past few years I've been all over the map. But I have stopped looking for that 'one avenue' that claims to hold the key to spiritual enlightenment and awakening. I want to know God. Those who find Him in Bible study, I envy you. As for me... I'll keep you posted.


“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls.” Quoted by Mother Teresa




No comments:

Post a Comment